Monday, August 22, 2005

Ridin' the rail!

We took a train today. Yesterday I posted that I had never been on a train and today David corrected me. I have been on a few trains - but they were all in Europe. (We took Italian trains between Venice and Milan. That too was a beautiful experience and one I hope to repeat!)

But I've never been on a train in the States. It was amazing but too short! Gettysburg Scenic Railway offers a variety of trips, with the Scenic route we took today being the shortest. It was also the only one offered as part of our compensation package with the campground, so free is free - we gladly accepted it!

Right now, they have a limited schedule but plans for next year will expand. Some of the other rides offered include a Mystery Dinner Theatre; Ghost Trains; Dinner Trains; Teddy Bear Express, Fall Foliage tours and the Santa Express. Rides last from 1-3 hours, depending on the tour. If you've never been on a train ride, it's a great experience.

Our buddy Skip went with us. The train was not crowded. Less than one hundred people were on the cars so we had room to spread out a bit. It was a little warm, but the windows were open and the ceiling fans in our car were spinning so it was not unbearable. The trip was a 16 mile journey passed battlefields, into woods and through small (don't blink you might miss it) towns towards Biglerville. We stopped just outside of town, changed direction and headed back to Gettysburg.

The rhythm was pleasant and soothing, the whistle varying and romantic. Our tour guide - I'm not sure if he's the conductor or not - was humorous and memorable and sported one of the prettiest handlebar mustaches I've ever seen.

I decided that one day, I will feature an extended train ride in one of my books, and one day I would personally take an extended train ride. What a regal way to travel!

2 comments:

Rachel Hauck said...

Hi Tracey,

What a great book to have all your on the road stories!

Rachel

Unknown said...

Most importantly all the things that keeps it all going 1000 islands tour is quite supportive which is why most importantly keeping it all in a manner helps me the most and that i always find very useful.